Mr. Chaudhary had a piercing pain whenever he tried passing stool along. In addition to this, he saw streaks of blood on the stools as well as toilet paper. He also complained of itching around his anal region which didn’t seem to stop. Confusing the condition as piles, he took several medications and tried various home remedies. But all in vain, as none of these cured any of his symptoms.
With each passing day, the pain and discomfort seemed to increase. He made the decision to visit the doctor. At the clinic, the doctor diagnosed him with a condition after a physical examination of his anal area. The doctor explained to him that there is a visible tear near his anus which is a typical symptom of anal fissures. The doctor recommended a treatment that was absolutely pain-free!
Want to know more about the treatment option which cured him of the condition? Continue reading!
An anal fissure is a tear in the soft tissue of the anal opening. The percentage of people suffering from fissures has multiplied exponentially in metropolitan cities. With the advent of laser-based procedures, people now have an option for painless treatment for curing fissures permanently.
In general, anal fissure looks like an oval-shaped crack in the anal area. So if you feel a tear in your anal region, visit your doctor as soon as possible. Evidently, more than 10% of India’s young population suffers from a chronic bowel movement. Hence, they are more prone to suffer from anal fissures.
Start by following these simple tips at home to get relief from fissures. They might not cure the problem absolutely but these surely can help you get relief from some of the symptoms of fissures.
- Staying hydrated. Drinking lots of caffeine-free fluids helps in curing fissures. Caffeine causes dehydration in the body.
- Using stool softeners. This aids in having a smooth bowel movement
- Taking warm baths for 15-20 minutes several times a day helps in relieving some of the anal pain
- Applying topical anesthetics like lidocaine also helps in relieving some of the pain
- Consuming a fiber-rich meal so that during a bowel movement, you don’t have to strain much.
- Cleaning and drying the anal area after each bowel movement
Some of the medications that the doctor recommends for treating fissures are-
- Nitroglycerin ointment- These work by relaxing the muscles in the anal region which allows more blood flow into the affected area. The side-effect of using this medication is that it causes mild to severe headaches.
- Calcium channel blockers- These works by lowering the blood pressure in the anal region. The adverse effect is that they can cause headaches.
A Permanent Cure to Fissures
When all these medications fail to provide relief from fissures, doctors recommend their patients to go for surgeries.
Surgeries have proven to be most-effective when performed with the most-advanced laser-based procedures. Laser-based procedures are beneficial for both patients as well as doctors.
Benefits of laser surgery for patients
- Reduced chances of bleeding- USDFA- approved laser surgery is a successful and quick way of treating anal fissure. The scalpel used in conventional procedures is replaced by a laser beam hence there are very minimal chances of bleeding. There are cases of bleeding in very rare situations.
- Faster recovery time- Also known as minimally-invasive surgery, laser-based procedures ensure faster recovery for patients. Usually, people return to their daily activities within a week.
- Minimal pain- This technique is carried out throughout the influence of anesthesia. Therefore, the patient is unable to feel any pain during a laser-based procedure. It is possible that he or she may feel a little discomfort and pain after the surgery.
- Reduced risk of infection- As there are minimum cuts and incisions as possible, so chances of infection are also reduced to almost zero.
- Day-care procedure- If you do not show any sign of any complication, the doctor might discharge you on the same day of the surgery.
- Low-rate of recurrence- Very few people have reported relapse of fissures after undergoing the laser-based procedure.
The fissures which are left untreated for long period of time can turn chronic. Chronic anal fissures can develop skin tags along with infection. They don’t cause any severe complications such as cancer but can be very uncomfortable. Hence, visit the doctor as soon as possible if you experience any symptoms of fissures!