Connect with us





Spain is the gateway to the Mediterranean Sea and is a country of great geographical wealth. You can explore the sea, mountains, big cities, or charming villages. It is the European Union’s most biodiverse country, with 45 biosphere reserves recognized by United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization.

Due to a blend of different civilizations over centuries, CANADA VISA FOR SPAIN CITIZENS has a unique cultural heritage, which is reflected in its food, paintings, sculptures, architecture, literature and music.

Whether you are at an outdoor café, concert, flamenco tablao, dinner party or discoteca, nightlife in Spain is unparalleled.

Who can apply?

To work in Spain through one of the Canada-Spain Youth Mobility programs, you must:

  • be a Canadian citizen
  • be 18-35 years old (inclusive)
  • live in Canada when applying, and
  • have a Canadian passport that’s valid for at least 12 months before you enter Spain

Other requirements may apply. Check Spain’s website for more details.

What type of work visa do I need?

You need to apply for a Youth Mobility visa. This visa has five categories:

Category a

Post-secondary graduates who want to get additional training in Spain through a pre-arranged contract of employment (job offer).

Category b

Registered post-secondary students who want to complete part of their academic training in a Spanish institution, including under inter-institution agreements.

Category c

Young professionals who want additional training in order to contribute to their professional development.

Category d

Registered post-secondary students who want to work temporarily at a summer job in Spain.

Category e (Working Holiday)

Young CANADA VISA FOR SWEDEN CITIZENS who want to travel to Spain work temporarily to help fund their trip or to do volunteer work.

Do I need a formal job or internship offer?

Yes, you need a job offer (pre-arranged contract of employment) or a formal internship offer if you apply to:

  • Category a,
  • Category b, or
  • Category c

No, you don’t need one if you apply to:

  • Category d, or
  • Category e

How long can I stay and work?

You can stay and work in Spain for up to 12 months.

You can participate in Spain’s Youth Mobility Program two times. Your second participation must be in a different category and there must be a break of at least three months between the two participations.

How do I apply?

If you live in Ottawa or Gatineau you can apply in person at the Spanish Embassy in Ottawa. You can also apply in person or by mail at the Spanish Consulate General that is responsible for the area in which you live. Spanish Consulate General offices are located in Montreal and Toronto.

Plan your trip

The best way to make sure your trip is the experience of a lifetime is to plan. Review our travel checklist to find out what you should know or do before travelling to and working in a foreign country.

Need help planning? One of IEC’s recognized organizations (ROs) might be able to help you find a job, transportation, and provide travel advice.

Most ROs charge a fee for their services.